Ankylosing spondylitis is a rare type of arthritis that causes pain and stiffness in the spine.
Ankylosing spondylitis is a rare type of arthritis. This causes pain and stiffness in the spine.This condition is chronic and is also known as Bechteryu disease. It usually starts in the lower back and may spread to the neck or affect joints in other areas. of the body can be damaged
Ankylosis means bones that fuse together.Although it affects other hard tissues. Not just bones Spondylitis, on the other hand, refers to inflammation in the bones of the spine. or spine More severe cases can cause the spine to curve. Ankylosing spondylitis There is no cure. But medication and exercise can relieve pain. and helps keep your back strong
Symptoms of ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis It usually starts with the chiropractic joint.Where the spine connects to the pelvis. It can affect the areas where tendons and ligaments attach to bones. and may cause the spine to fuse.
With this condition You may feel pain or tightness in various parts. of the following body : :
- Lower back or lumbar pain
- go back
- rib cage
You can still notice. : :
- The pain is worse in the morning or after sitting for a long time.
- A spine that is stiff and curved forward.
- swelling in the joints
- Difficulty breathing
Symptoms can change from one person to another.Again, conditions can change quickly or slowly depending on the individual.
Complications of ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis can cause pain and inflammation throughout the body, including:
- in the spine. In some rare cases The spine may become weaker. As a result, they are more likely to break or break. Damaged vertebrae can compress or irritate nerve bundles at the bottom of the spinal cord.It’s called a ponytail. When this area is affected You may have problems with bowel or bladder control, sexual problems, or loss of reflexes.
- in the eyeAbout 40% of people with ankylosing spondylitis have an eye problem called uveitis. It involves a A painful type of eye inflammation that obscures vision and makes sufferers sensitive to bright light.If you have pleurisy Doctors can diagnose ankylosing spondylitis even if there are no other symptoms.
- in the heart valves. This case doesn’t happen often. But the condition can enlarge the aorta, the largest artery in the human body. This can change the shape of the aortic valve. and allows blood to flow back to the heart The heart will not beat normally. Therefore, the person may feel tired and breathless more often.
People with ankylosing spondylitis also have it. More likely to develop certain types of cancersuch as bone cancer and prostate cancer in men and colon cancer in womenas well as blood-related cancers in both sexes.
Causes of ankylosing spondylitis
Researchers studying the condition don’t know exactly what triggers it. But they believe it is so. linked to geneticsMost people with ankylosing spondylitis have a gene that makes a protein called HLA-B27. Doctors think this protein tells the immune system to attack certain bacteria in the body. and induces ankylosing spondylitis
Risk factors for developing ankylosing spondylitis
There is definitely Uncontrollable factors And that may increase your risk of developing this disease:
- sex. Men are more likely than women to develop ankylosing spondylitis.Affect them faster and more seriously. Women are more likely to have a more severe form of this condition, called hypogonadism. non-radiographic axis spondyloarthritis
- age. Ankylosing spondylitis It usually begins in adolescence or early adulthood.. Approximately 80% of cases occur before a person reaches age 30, and 95% of cases occur before age 45.
Diagnosis of ankylosing spondylitis
Ankylosing spondylitis Difficult to detect because many people have back painThis is the main symptom of the condition. However, diagnosis can be more complicated for women because of the condition. It is more common in men..
There is no single test that can confirm this diagnosis.Your doctor may rely on your symptoms, physical exam, and blood tests. Your doctor may order an x-ray or MRI, but these techniques don’t always help. This is because joint damage may not show up immediately on imaging tests.
Treatment of ankylosing spondylitis
Medicine can only help some people. Staying physically active is one of the keys to managing this condition well..
- exercise. The less time the affected person spends sitting or lying down, the more The better they will feel. Exercise helps keep the body upright and in good posture, as well as keeping the spine flexible. Staying active can eliminate pain without taking medication..
- physical therapyThe affected person must have good posture. Learn to stretch tight muscles. and maintain a stable spine Postural hygiene can be maintained and corrected at home. But most people find that working with a professional physical therapist is more helpful and effective.
- drugPrescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs help most patients with ankylosing spondylitis. But these medicines can cause stomach bleeding. heart problems and other side effects
If the patient’s condition is serious Your doctor may prescribe a stronger medicine with a biologic.. These contain substances such as proteins. But it can cause serious side effects, such as infection.
Lifestyle and home remedies
If you have ankylosing spondylitis You can improve your quality of life by making changes to your daily routine.
- Exercise every day. Just a few minutes a day can help relieve pain. The tendency when you feel pain is to rest. But in reality Movement is much more beneficial: go for a walk, practice yoga, or play another sport. You will notice changes and you will feel better.
- Maintain a healthy weight so that there is not as much stress on the joints.. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids can help you. Pay attention to your diet because some foods can make you feel better or worse than others.
- Smoking is not recommended.. Smoking is known to be harmful to health. But people with ankylosing spondylitis who smoke tend to get worse as they get older.
- Try to live a life with little stress.. If your daily life is quite stressful. Instead, suggest positive changes such as massage, meditation, yoga, or therapy.
- Use heat to the affected joints and muscles that you feel tight as well. Coolness in the inflamed area.