Eating a vegetarian diet does not necessarily mean lacking nutrients or minerals. The truth is that animal protein can be replaced by many other alternatives.
More and more people joined in wearing the costumes. Vegetarian or vegetarian lifestyleWhether for moral, animal or even health reasons. In the past few years Vegetarianism has moved from being considered a rarity or a fad to being embraced in society. Both culturally and gastronomically, however, legends still exist about this lifestyle. And that’s that. As a vegetarian, you cannot consume essential protein. Because you eliminate meat and fish from your diet. This is a misconception because people who eat this type of diet can find protein necessary for the proper functioning of the body. Many other foods.
The problem is that in general We are consuming significantly more protein. SAIA nutritionist Gemma Oña told La Vanguardia newspaper: “The recommended protein intake is 0.8 grams per kilogram of body weight for men and 0.6 grams per kilogram for women.” Can be covered with vegetable protein.Because it provides essential amino acids that are present in meat, however, within vegetarianism it is also present. different trendsSome are more strict than others when it comes to prohibited foods:
- Dairy products – vegetarian: They choose Eliminate animal protein and eggs, but they eat milk, which is an important source of protein. as well as calcium, phosphorus, vitamins A and D
- Ovo-Vegetarian: They eliminate animal protein and dairy products but eat eggs, which makes it easier for them to consume protein and B vitamins, iron and other minerals.
- Ovolacte-Vegetarian: They decided to eliminate meat and fish from their diet. But not milk or eggs. Therefore, it needs nutrients. Get more protection.
- Vegan: This meal completely eliminated Any food that comes from animals other than meat or fish This includes dairy products and eggs. So you have to find protein in other foods.
But what other types of protein can be found in foods? However, vegetables are an endless source of nutrients and fiber. Protein is essential for energy and vitality.. Can be found in the following foods. Which shows that meat is completely unnecessary in the diet:
- legumes: Both legumes and their derivatives such as tofu and tempeh. Chickpeas, lentils, peas, beans and soybeans are an excellent source of protein. They became great allies. However, these are ‘incomplete’ proteins and must be combined with other foods, such as grains or nuts. To get maximum protein Among legumes Soybeans contain the most amino acids, and 250 grams of this product provides us with 30% of the recommended daily intake.
- Grains: Some grains, such as seitan, oats, and spelled, also contain large amounts of protein, if any. Combine with nuts or seeds. The result is that every 100 grams provides 11% of the recommended daily intake. In addition, so-called pseudocereals, such as quinoa, contain complete protein. Which for vegetarians is another important substitute for the main food.
- bean: As already mentioned. Beans can be combined with other “incomplete” proteins to get Important parts of protein to the body, but some such as peanuts are also excellent sources, almonds, hazelnuts, cashew nuts And walnuts are also high in minerals that are quickly absorbed by the body.
- Eggs and dairy products: These food groups are restricted to certain types of vegetarians. and especially for vegans, but these food groups actually contain a Important source of vitamin B12 In addition to proteins with high biological value that are best absorbed by our bodies,
These foods allow you to effectively replace animal products with other products contained in a vegetarian diet. Both tofu and seitan It is important for people who eat this type of food. This is because in addition to providing essential protein for the body, also causes Food is richer, healthier and more diverse.The important thing is Know how to combine these protein sources. So that each dish can be an excellent substitute for traditional dishes.
Is a vegetarian diet safe and healthy?
An important question that non-vegetarians ask is: If it really causes a lack of nutrients and minerals For our bodies, the answer from the American Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics is If done in a planned manner, it will be good for health. And it also helps. Prevent certain diseasesIn every phase of the life cycle Some of the benefits are:
- Low saturated fat content: Animal products contain a lot of fat and especially cholesterol. Therefore, cutting out these foods means cutting out this source of cholesterol. and helps improve cardiovascular health as well
- Prevent obesity: Salt, fat and caloric value of meat especially red meat Will cause excess weight to increase. Eating a diet based on vegetables and plant products not only provides a wealth of nutrients. But it also helps prevent obesity.
- More fiber content: Vegetables are an excellent source of fiber. The same goes for legumes and grains. These foods not only help Regulates intestinal transit It has also been shown to protect against certain cancers, such as colon and prostate cancer.
Here are some of the benefits of eating a vegetarian diet. But like any dietary restriction, It is also risky.. Compliance with this regime without careful monitoring can lead to Lack of fatty acids such as omega 3 and 6which is mostly found in blue fish and also enters Vitamin B12 deficiencyIt is probably the hardest to get naturally without meat products. Therefore, it is best to resort to dietary supplements. For all these reasons, it can be said that a vegetarian diet is healthy and safe as long as it is. Act responsibly And be careful of replacing animal food with vegetables that are most beneficial to the body.