Levofloxacin is a medicine used to treat various diseases… We will tell you more about this drug.
at Levofloxacin It is a drug that is often prescribed to treat a variety of conditions. In fact, levofloxacin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic, that is, it acts against a large number of bacteria. This antibiotic belongs specifically to the quinolone drug group. and especially the fluoquinolone group Because there may be side effects. Levofloxacin is therefore usually only used to treat certain infections if no other options are available.
What is levofloxacin used for?
As we said, levofloxacin is a medicine used for a variety of diseases, however, it is mainly used to fight infections that are mild, moderate, or in some cases more serious. Some of the most common infections that often require treatment with lovofloxacin intake include:
- Pneumonia : Pneumonia is the disease for which levofloxacin is most often prescribed. Pneumonia is an infection caused by a virus or bacteria that attacks the lungs and causes inflammation. Pneumonia is also characterized by high fever, chills, severe pain in the affected area of the chest, coughing, and phlegm. Levofloxacin works to get rid of inflammation in the lungs. lungs due to viral or bacterial infection and stop the symptoms occurring
- Bronchitis : Bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchial tubes. These are the airways that carry oxygen to your lungs. This condition often causes a cough with a lot of mucus, difficulty breathing, wheezing, low-grade fever, and chest tightness. In the case of chronic bronchitis Levofloxacin is often used for treatment. Because it will help reduce inflammation. It keeps the airways open and gets rid of mucus.
- acute sinusitis : Acute sinusitis is a bacterial infection that attacks the nose. It is usually caused by the common cold and causes inflammation of the paranasal sinuses. which prevents proper breathing and disturb drainage and cause mucus to accumulate Other common symptoms Symptoms of acute sinusitis can include swelling around the eyes and face, facial pain, or even a headache. Levofloxacin is commonly used to treat acute sinusitis. This is because the medicine helps get rid of infection and reduces inflammation that prevents or makes breathing difficult.
- urinary tract infection : Levofloxacin is a drug used to treat various diseases. related to the urinary system Especially the bladder, kidneys, ureters, and urethra. In the case of this type of infection Levofloxacin is usually prescribed when dealing with a more complex infection that has not healed with other medicines.
- Anthrax : Anthrax is a serious infection caused by Bacillus anthracis, a microorganism that lives in the soil. Although it is usually a disease that affects more animals. But it can also affect people who can get infected through the skin, affecting the skin, gastrointestinal tract, affecting the digestive system, or through breathing, affecting the lungs. One drug often used to combat anthrax is levofloxacin.
- Skin and soft tissue : Although it is rarely found But levofloxacin can also be prescribed to treat skin or soft tissue infections such as abscesses, abscesses, or infected wounds. or pyoderma, among many others. These types of infections are usually less serious. Therefore, drugs as powerful as levofloxacin are often not used. But everything will depend on the severity and reaction of each person’s body.
How to eat Levofloxacin
As should be done with all medicines. You must take levofloxacin first. See a doctor or specialist. and follow the prescribed guidelines for consuming said medicine. Levofloxacin can be taken by mouth. Injected intravenously or ophthalmally, it is typically administered via 500 mg tablets. The recommended dosage in adults is usually 1 to 2 tablets per day for 7 or 14 days. Your doctor will estimate time based on the severity of the addiction. germs But in any case It is recommended that levofloxacin be taken over 14 days.
It is recommended to take large doses of levofloxacin. at the same time every dayIn this way, some improvements will begin to be noticed during the first days of treatment. It is very important to follow the guidelines given by your doctor. And treatment will not be suspended without consulting a doctor. Unless you have some side effects that consuming this drug can produce in the body.
Possible side effects
Levofloxacin is an antibiotic that is commonly expressed. Many side effects and for this reason it is often not prescribed unless there is no alternative. Of course, consuming it can cause a number of side effects does not mean that it will work worse or be less effective than other drugs. in the same group Some of the most common side effects that can occur from consuming levofloxacin include:
- stomach ache.
- Vaginal itching or vaginal discharge
If the above symptoms occur and persist while taking levofloxacin. You need to inform your doctor. In addition to these symptoms Other side effects may occur. Less common but more severeYou must stop taking the medicine and see a doctor immediately. Some side effects include:
- Severe diarrhea that may occur with or without fever and abdominal pain.
- peeling or blistering of the skin
- Swelling of the eyes, face, mouth, lips, tongue, throat, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
- Very thirsty or hungry
- Fainting or losing consciousness
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- Sudden chest, stomach, or back pain
- Swelling or wear and tear of the tendon This is especially true if you use steroid medicine. or if you have had a kidney, heart, or lung transplant.