This medicine is usually prescribed in cases of adrenal insufficiency and insufficiency of steroid hormones. But there are many other benefits.
Hydrocortisone is a type of glucocorticosteroid that is very similar to the steroid hormones naturally produced by the adrenal glands.
These hormones are essential for the proper functioning of the body. This is because these hormones affect the cardiovascular, immune, and nervous systems, among others. Therefore, when these hormones are not produced in sufficient quantities naturally, Hydrocortisone treatment may be prescribed.
However, this hormone replacement is just one of the many benefits this drug can provide. regarding the presentation of hydrocortisone; They can be found in various forms. To be given orally – in tablets or suspension – topically, in a cream or intravenously.It will be the doctor who prescribes hydrocortisone who will determine how the patient should use this medicine. Depends on the usage that will be received.
What is hydrocortisone used for?
In addition to helping in cases where the adrenal glands are not enough to produce steroids. This medicine is also intended for Treat other symptoms such as : :
- Relieves inflammation With properties that prevent leukopenia, a type of blood cell that prevents infection from reaching the area affected by inflammation. In this respect, it also serves to prevent swelling in the area affected by the tumor. It reduces pressure on the nerves and relieves symptoms caused by the tumor.
- as palliative treatment in the case of Rheumatism This includes psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis. Ankylosing spondylitis Bursitis or post-traumatic osteoarthritis, and many more.
- Gastrointestinal disease In severe cases with ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease
- Respiratory condition such as symptomatic tuberculosis, sarcoidosis, or Loeffler syndrome.
- Cases of congenital adrenal hyperplasia, thyroiditis, hypercalcemia related to cancer or other types. Endocrine system disorders.
- A severe allergic reaction occurred. such as asthma, contact dermatitis or atopic dermatitis or hypersensitivity to any medication
- Serious eye problems Cone is a case of inflammation or allergies, corneal ulcers or herpes.
- such as Supportive management in cases of leukemia or lymphoma Develops in adult patients or acute leukemia in children.
- Reduce nausea and vomiting related to the use of chemotherapy
- Reduce inflammation, burning, and redness of the skin. When applied topically
Side effects of using hydrocortisone
Treatment with hydrocortisone is the same as occurs when taking any other medicine. May cause a reaction. However Consumption of this drug usually does not have any side effects.There may be cases where a patient may experience some of the symptoms below and need to report them to the doctor as soon as possible so that he or she can decide what action to take.
- Discomfort in the stomach area
- Symptoms of anxiety, depression, and agitation
- Trouble falling asleep and enjoying restful sleep
- Dizziness and vomiting
- Characteristics of acne and skin rashes
- Muscle weakness and easy bruising
- Menstruation is not normal.
- Problems affecting normal vision
- Swelling in the face, legs, or ankles
- Very dark or tarry stools
Precautions before starting drug treatment
At the time the doctor prescribed hydrocortisone. He will ask for certain information from the patient’s medical history to inquire. Check if there are any incompatibilities with the drug.. In any case The person should make sure their doctor is aware of certain conditions, including:
- Knowledge that everyone experiences Allergic to any medicinehypersensitivity to hydrocortisone Aspirin or tartrazine are especially relevant.
- Diseases that affect Intestines, heart, liver, or kidneys.
- Condition like diabetes, high blood pressure Osteoporosis, tuberculosis, stomach ulcers or underactive thyroid glandOther groups
- If you have it Anticipation of undergoing any type of surgery.
- If you have History of development of stomach ulcers.
- If you regularly take aspirin or any type of medicine. that are specifically prescribed to treat arthritis In this respect, you also need to inform your doctor. If other medications are being used.
- In case of pregnancy or if you are looking to become pregnant or if you are breastfeeding.
Dosage and duration of treatment
The doctor himself assesses the patient’s characteristics and the symptoms he presents, must determine how much medicine should be consumed and how to use it. In the case of hydrocortisone in tablet form It must be taken during or after meals. While if injected Medical personnel will be responsible for management.Whether it’s in a muscle or a vein This medicine can also be found in the form of a cream or eye drops and it is important to read the instructions carefully before use. In any case Do not take a double dose when you forget to take a dose.But you have to wait until the next time to heal normally.
In any case, The doctor’s instructions must be strictly followed.Both in terms of quantity and duration of treatment It should not be interrupted voluntarily or suddenly. This is because the consequences may include vomiting, fever, muscle and joint pain, weight loss, or drowsiness. Therefore, when patients receive hydrocortisone treatment for a long time, Your doctor will give you the necessary advice by gradually reducing your dose until you stop completely.
Other advice that health professionals can give when prescribing hydrocortisone is: Increase the amount of dairy products in your daily diet.Because it can help prevent and reduce diarrhea caused by medicine. It is also recommended to switch to a diet that is low in sodium and salt and high in potassium and protein. It is also very important to reduce alcohol consumption during the treatment period, as hydrocortisone increases the sensitivity of the stomach and intestines and the possibility of developing ulcers in that area. more