This medicine can be taken with other medicines and is often prescribed to treat pain or reduce coughs due to the common cold. It is highly addictive.
Codeine is a medicine prescribed for treating cough because of its antitussive effects. However, its main use is aimed at reducing pain to a mild or moderate level as well. It is part of a class of drugs known as opiates or narcotics.Codeine is usually marketed in addition to other medicines such as paracetamol, aspirin or other medicines intended to treat cold or flu symptoms.
This drug stands out because Can be very addictiveTherefore, consumption is not recommended for those with a history of misuse of drugs or other substances. For this and other reasons Before prescribing codeine The doctor will ask the patient about his or her medical history to assess possible side effects of consuming codeine. Information that doctors should know before prescribing medicine includes:
- Have an allergic reaction to codeine or other medicines. It is also important to find out about the medicine’s ingredients in case you are allergic to any of these medicines.
- drinking large amounts of alcohol regularly as well as suffering from dependence on other types of drugs
- Do you have or have you ever had Intestinal problems It is an obstacle as well as any symptoms. related to the respiratory system, such as asthma or respiratory depression
- Follow up on treatment with other medications.Whether it’s an antibiotic or an antifungal drug, such as an antidepressant or sedative. Any additional dietary supplements or vitamins you take should be specified with your doctor.
- breastfeedingIn this case, consumption is completely prohibited. Codeine can pass into breast milk and cause breathing problems, confusion, or weakness in a baby. Taking the drug during pregnancy is not recommended, especially in the first three months. In the case of pregnant women It will be the patient and the doctor who will have to assess whether the benefits of the drug outweigh the potential risks of consuming it.
- Suffering from kidney, liver, or heart failureas well as other conditions such as hypothyroidism ulcerative colitis or gallbladder problems
- Surgery is scheduled Any type
Codeine side effects
This medicine is like any other medicine. that can cause secondary symptoms as a result of consumption These can be minor or more severe over time, in this case. It is necessary to contact the doctor to assess whether treatment should be discontinued.The most common side effects of codeine include:
- headache, Feeling jittery or uncomfortable and in serious cases Hallucinations where you hear or see things that aren’t really there.
- fever and excessive sweating
- severe breathing problemsEspecially during the first 2 days of treatment, breathing is slow, noisy, or difficult to breathe.
- Stomach condition Such as stomach pain, nausea, vomiting or loss of appetite.
- Heart rate increases.
- Itching or developing a rash in certain areas of the body
- muscle problems Such as tremors, twitching, weakness, or stiffness.
- Feeling dizzy or sleepyas well as lack of coordination or difficulty speaking and swallowing
If these symptoms worsen or continue for a long time Including if the patient has a seizure. You should consult your doctor quickly to assess the situation and take appropriate measures. In cases where the elderly are at high risk of falling Continued supervision is recommended when following codeine therapy because It may cause dizziness, confusion, or fainting.Especially after the patient has been lying down for a long time.
Codeine Dosage and Treatment
This medicine can be found in pharmacies in different forms such as oral solution, tablets or capsules, depending on the medicine used with it. Usually, The time between feedings is from 4 to 6 hours.The doctor must determine the daily amount that the patient must eat. The dose of this drug should not be increased or treatment prolonged for longer than indicated. Because it has a high ability to be addicted to drugs.
At this time, the health professional decides that it is time to discontinue treatment. This is most likely the case. It is recommended to reduce the dose gradually. until the medicine is completely gone And patients who suddenly stop consuming codeine experience symptoms related to abstinence. As well as irritability, anxiety, increased heart rate. Intestinal problems and muscle pain If you forget to take your medicine You should not compensate by doubling your dosage. If it’s almost time for your next dose, you will need to wait to take your codeine at your usual time. If not, take it when the patient remembers.
Other important information About Codeine
Don’t miss this information which is also important:
- It is not recommended to take this medicine. Children under 18 years oldEspecially those with respiratory disease
- codeine consumption It can reduce fertility in both men and women.Therefore, you should consult your doctor if you are considering the possibility of pregnancy.
- Codeine is part of a group of drugs that It can make you sleepy and feel tired.Therefore, driving under the influence or engaging in dangerous activities such as operating heavy machinery is not recommended.
- This medicine can cause constipationTherefore, your doctor may recommend that you eat a diet high in fiber to maintain normal bowel activity.
- Codeine should be stored in its original container and Too far from sources of heat and humidity.Store at room temperature and do not consume after the expiration date stated on the package. If you want to get rid of the medicine You should ask the pharmacy or inquire about drug disposal programs.
- Keep out of reach of children. To avoid involuntary drug poisoning