Terbutaline is a medicine prescribed for people with asthma or other types of serious respiratory disease. This is because terbutaline relaxes and opens the airways.
Terbutaline is part of a class of drugs called beta agonists, which are especially recommended for people with respiratory problems such as asthma and chronic bronchitis. or emphysema and others, this medicine Its purpose is to relax the smooth muscles of the bronchi and suppress other symptoms. of these conditionsHelps relax the airway and open the airway more easily in addition to controlling other symptoms such as wheezing. This occurs because the drug stimulates beta-2 adrenergic receptors found in the smooth muscle of the bronchi.
The drug comes in many forms, such as oral tablets that are always taken as directed by your doctor. It is usually taken 3 times a day, leaving 6 hours between each meal.. Terbutaline can be purchased for inhalation aerosol and taken orally. In the latter case, the measuring cup that comes with the product must be used to calculate the dosage, whose maximum volume does not exceed 15 ml in the case of adults. The recommended dosage is normally 10-15 ml. 3 times a day. In the case of children, the dosage must be calculated according to the formula 0.25 ml. for each kilogram of weight and given 3 times a day.
Precautions for taking terbutaline
When starting treatment with any drug, you must always read the package insert and pay attention to the possible contraindications of the drug. In the case of terbutaline Always inform your doctor in the following cases:
- When you suffer from Allergy to any active ingredients that make up the drug (glycerol, sodium citrate, sodium benzoate, disodium edate and raspberry and lemon scents). People allergic to fructose should be especially careful. This is because terbutaline also contains sorbitol.
- If you have severe asthmaThis is because the product can cause hypokalemia and increase hypoxia.
- Patients suffering from heart failure such as ischemic heart disease fast heartbeat or severe heart failure
- In the case of diabetic patients, it is recommended Further testing is done to measure sugar levels. contained in the blood
- If you are taking any other medicinesas well as any dietary supplements or vitamins to avoid side effects that may occur when starting treatment with terbutaline.
- If any type of surgery is planned? during drug treatment
Treatment during pregnancy and lactation
In the studies conducted, no adverse effects on drug consumption during pregnancy were found in either the mother or the newborn baby, although Special caution must be taken during the first trimester.The only effect seen is temporary hypoglycemia in newborns in mothers treated with this drug. In any case It is completely contraindicated to use terbutaline to stop or delay premature labor. This is because using it for this purpose can have serious consequences. In the case of breastfeeding women Medicines can pass into breast milk. But it is unlikely that the baby will have any sensitivity. As long as the recommended dosage is followed. By health experts In any case, it is always best to consult a doctor to assess each case and decide whether to start taking terbutaline based on the individual characteristics of the patient.
adverse drug reactions
The same is true for most medicines. Tebutaline can cause patients to experience several side effects after consumption. It is recommended to start treatment in alternation. Gradually increase the initial dose until the recommended dosage is reached.To avoid these effects In any case Individual reactions depend on the dose consumed and the route of administration. and usually disappears on its own between the first and second week of treatment. Some side effects that patients may notice include:
- nausea and dizziness
- muscle pain Including tremors or weakness
- Characteristics of headaches.
- Hives or a red rash on the skin There may also be a fever.
- Increased sweating and dry mouth
- Sleep disturbances in the form of drowsiness or difficulty staying asleep
- Heart abnormalities, such as rapid heartbeat and, in rare cases, palpitations. Arrhythmias may occur. arrhythmia or abnormal heart rhythms
- The appearance of bronchospasm
- feeling of anxiety restless or restlessness Including staying still
- If you feel other symptoms such as a tight throat, chest pain, difficulty breathing, or seizures, you should tell your doctor immediately.
When patients show some adverse symptoms such as headaches, feelings of anxiety and worry, nausea, and muscle pain. or heart conditions such as palpitations, rapid heartbeat or arrhythmias It may be that he or she has taken a dose that is too high. In these cases, you must inform your health professional as soon as possible. He will perform a gastric lavage and use activated charcoal to remove terbutaline from the body.as well as appropriate treatment for the patient’s overall recovery.
This medicine should always be kept in its original container, closed, and out of the reach of children. The period of use is up to 3 years, as long as Store it in a place at room temperature and not exposed to moisture or heat sources..When you have to throw away medicine You should go to the right place to do it. You can ask at the pharmacy or look for drug return or drug disposal programs.
Other points to consider regarding terbutaline
Don’t forget the following:
- The dose should not be increased or decreased. unless following the doctor’s advice The same thing will happen with treatment interruptions.
- There are no restrictions on driving or operating heavy machinery after taking terbutaline.
- In the case of athletes, it must be taken into account that if doping is controlled while on treatment with the drug. It can give positive results..
- If you forget to take medicine You can eat it as soon as you remember. However, if it is close to the time to take the next dose, it is recommended to wait to take the normal dose. What you shouldn’t do is make up for forgetfulness with a double dose..