Bananas are easy to peel, eat, and spread. After all, bananas are known for their moisturizing properties. This is why women with dry hair and skin swear by it. You’ll be happy to know that it can offer you more than that. Bananas are also good for hair growth. It has all the right nutrients that your hair loves. So, if you are suffering from hair loss and are tired of searching for the right hair care product, try this home remedy. Go for a banana hair mask or just use its pulp on your tresses, and see the difference.
Health Shots contacted Dr Vinay Kumar, Senior Dermatologist, Max Super Specialty Hospital, Dehradun to know about hair loss and how bananas can help.
What is hair loss?
If you’re losing a lot of hair and you’re seeing less growth, that’s hair loss. Dr Kumar says that all healthy adults lose up to hundreds of hairs a day from the scalp alone, and this is considered normal. That’s because it is measured by growth in the normal course. Conditions such as pregnancy, abortion, breastfeeding, menstruation, hair styling and endocrine dysfunction can lead to hair loss in women.
Banana for hair growth
The good news is that bananas are considered one of the most promising natural ingredients that can help control hair loss in women, says an expert. Bananas are full of potassium, silica, magnesium, antioxidants, vitamin C, fiber, natural fats and proteins. Its peel also contains nutrients, so you can get the health benefits of bananas through the pulp and peel.
How to use banana for hair growth?
Dr Kumar says that banana can be used as food and apply the pulp or peel on the scalp. Banana peel is also good for skin care. Here are some banana hair masks that you can try.
1. Banana curd hair mask
• A smooth paste of the pulp from two ripe bananas can be prepared with a mixer. Add curd, which helps to moisturize the scalp, in the mixture.
• Can be used twice a week on the scalp. A 15 minute application is good enough to get the benefits.
2. Banana and avocado hair mask
• Avocado, rich in vitamin E and biotin, can be used with bananas. Make a paste using the two ingredients and apply on the scalp. • Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes and wash your scalp using a mild shampoo.
3. Banana and honey hair mask
• Mix banana with honey, which helps reduce scalp dryness and accelerates hair regrowth.
• Leave it on the scalp for 15 minutes and then wash it off.
4. Banana, papaya and honey hair mask
• Cut bananas and papaya, which release folic acid that nourishes hair roots, into small pieces and grind them.
• Add honey to it and mix until well coated.
• Apply it on your scalp and leave it on for at least 15 minutes before washing it off.
5. Banana and aloe vera hair mask
• Cut the banana into small pieces and extract the aloe vera, which is a good source of beta-carotene and vitamins, from the leaf. Add to blender and banana.
• Mix both to make a smooth dough, but make sure there are no lumps.
• Apply it on your scalp and let it stay there for 15 to 30 minutes.
In terms of diet, eating too many bananas can cause tooth decay, says Dr Kumar. Eating too many bananas can also lead to drowsiness due to the effect on neurotransmitters.
Leave a Comment