Loss of volume is one of the most common hair problems faced these days. Hair loss or shedding can make your hair look limp or create bald spots. When we see our hair thinning, we tend to think that hair loss is the cause. Although hair loss is a major concern, it may not be the only cause of volume loss. Hair breakage can add to your existing problems. Both of these words may sound similar to you, but they have significant differences. If you are a person who is confused between the two terms, we are here to explain it to you.
Health Shots caught up with Dr Mandeep Singh, HOD-Plastic Surgery, Paras Health, Gururgram, to understand the important difference between hair fall and hair breakage.
What is hair loss?
Hair fall and breakage are two common problems that many people face. Although both conditions can cause hair loss, they are caused by different factors and have different characteristics.
Dr. Singh explains about the issue of hair loss. “Hair loss, commonly called hairshedding, occurs when a hair follicle reaches the end of its growth cycle and falls out naturally. On average, people lose 50 to 100 hair strands per day, which is considered normal. However, excessive hair loss can be a sign of an underlying health condition such as hormonal changes, stress, nutritional deficiencies, or genetics. Hair loss often causes the entire shaft to come out of the root, leaving a white bulb at the end of the hair. “
Tips to treat hair fall
Hair loss can be controlled with proper guidance and routine. You can follow the following tips to see visible results.
• Wash your hair at least once a week to improve scalp health.
• Switch to a water conditioner and a gentle shampoo that is free of parabens and sulfates. Such products cause less damage or drying of the hair.
• Wash your hair two or three times a week to have a clean head.
• Your diet plays a major role in maintaining the health of your hair. Include foods rich in iron, omega-3, and other essential vitamins to make your hair strong and healthy from the inside.
What is hair breakage?
On the other hand, hair breakage occurs when the hair strand breaks due to external stressors such as excessive heat styling, harsh chemicals, tight hair, or brushing and combing the hair while wet. Hair breakage often leads to short, uneven hair with a rough, tangled texture. Unlike hair loss, hair breakage usually does not cause a white bulb at the end of the strand,” explains the expert.
Also read: Bhringraj can help you increase hair growth and control hair fall! Know how to use it
Tips for treating hair breakage
• Hair breakage usually occurs when your hair is dry and brittle. The best treatment is to put moisture back into your hair. You can start using hydrating shampoos and conditioners on your tresses which will help your mane regain strength.
• You can also start using a conditioning hair mask twice a week to lock in moisture in your hair.
• Finally, try to stay away from hair styling and heat tools as much as possible.
Leave a Comment