Fish oil and precautions for consumption
One of the food supplements sold in the market that is popular with both children and adults of all genders and ages is inevitable “Fish Oil” (not cod liver oil) (read more >> Cod Liver Oil VS Fish Oil, is it the same? How are they different? ) is so popular because fish oil is full of benefits. Contains both DHA (DHA) that is beneficial to the heart and skin, contains omega-3 that helps reduce the risk of heart disease. Control blood fat levels, blood pressure, relieve pain and inflammation from bone-related diseases. It also helps develop the nervous system and brain as well.
However, some people may argue in their minds that Fish oil is not necessary at all. Just eat deep sea fish like salmon, sardines, tuna more often, maybe every day or more than 3 days a week. It should be similar to the benefits of taking fish oil. But for the lives of those who can not find these fish to eat often. It may be seen that fish oil is also a good option that helps strengthen good health for yourself easily and quickly.
Although fish oil is very safe for children and adults to eat, there are a few precautions that should be taken. and learn to know before running to buy and eat
- People who regularly consume fish oil There will be an increased risk of bleeding. because omega-3 In fish oil, it has anti-platelet aggregation properties. and slow down the bleeding Therefore, those who are at risk of bleeding, such as those who are about to undergo surgery.
Read also: When should you not drink a lot of water?
People with stomach ulcers a person who drinks a lot of alcohol or those who take drugs such as aspirin or warfarin that has properties to reduce blood clotting You may need to take fish oil with caution.
If undergoing surgery, inform the doctor first that you are taking fish oil. and should stop taking fish oil at least 14 days before surgery
- Some people may be allergic to fish oil. Because fish oil comes from marine fish. those who are allergic to seafood If you are allergic to fish or are allergic to fish, there is a possibility that you are allergic to fish oil and can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, or diarrhea. But if you are not allergic to fish oil in any way But there are also symptoms. This may be corrected by taking fish oil immediately after meals. Or start with a small amount of fish oil first.
- people who already have low blood pressure May need to be careful when taking fish oil. Because fish oil has properties to lower blood pressure already.
- If you take more fish oil than the prescribed dose. This may increase the amount of calories we should be getting per day.
Until it may be bad for the body in return. That is, the risk of bad fat content and increased cholesterol. And may cause a decrease in vitamin E in the body
- In addition to nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea There may also be other side effects. There may occur such as distension, indigestion, or belching more often than usual, etc.
However, where possible, we still recommend getting the benefits of DHA and omega-3s more directly from food. Because in addition to we will have other useful nutrients. From these fish (Good protein, high fat. Selenium and vitamin D that help strengthen the immune system as well) also contains omega-3. from plants like flaxseeds, walnuts. And some vegetable oils like rice bran oil, coconut oil Let people. Who are allergic to sea fish can choose to eat as well. But if you still want to eat fish oil Before eating. You should check your health. And consult a doctor so that we can take the fish oil that is most suitable for our own health. The real benefits of taking fish oil are better.